WHAT IS ADB
Android Debug Bridge (adb) is a command line tool that lets you communicate with an android emulator or connected Android device such as phone, tablet etc.
WHAT IS FASTBOOT
Fastboot is a diagnostic protocol used primarily to modify the flash filesystem in Android smartphones from another computer over a USB connection. It is part of the Android Software Development Kit (SDK).
INSTALLING ADB & FASTBOOT
- Download this file containing necessary files for ADB and Fastboot.
- Extract the adbfastboot.zip file in your C: Drive such that the path now is C:adbfastboot alternatively you can copy the file to any other suitable folder/drive.
- Press Win + R to bring up the ‘Run’ box and type in sysdm.cpl and click OK.
- System Properties window will open up.
- Go to ‘Advanced’ tab > Environment Variables
- At the Environment Variables window, under System variables, click on Path, and then click on the Edit button to see the below screen.
- When the Edit System Variable window pops up, type in ;C:adbfastboot (along with semi-colon) at the extreme end and hit OK
- Alternatively if you have copied it to a different location then you can copy that path by going to that folder and clicking on the small yellow folder icon. Then perform the same drill as mentioned above. For example see the below screen.
- Click OK. Installation is complete!
ACCESSING ADB & FASTBOOT
adb [command] or fastboot [command]
NOTE : This tutorial is limited to Installation of ADB/Fastboot on Windows only. If you want to access your android device using ADB/Fastboot then refer to THIS TUTORIAL.